As I mentioned in my previous post, I have many mobile application ideas that I would like to begin implementing. I will start with a mobile application for my site Mandarin Treehouse, a place for Mandarin Immersion parents to find Mandarin Immersion programs and supplemental learning, activities, games and a community of parents.
I will use Azure to host the web service, Microsoft SQL database and web application. I will be redesigning the website to use ASP.NET MVC and Twitter Bootstrap. This will be a rewrite and redesign of the application. The existing application was originally developed in PHP with MySQL as the database and Twitter Bootstrap as UI framework used for the view. I anticipate that I will be able to reuse the view for the web application.
As part of the redesign, I will include the following existing and additional functionality:
- Iteration 1 – Ability to create, read, update, and delete mandarin immersion schools to support the Mandarin Immersion Parent Council needs.
- Iteration 2 – Support different roles namely Treehouse Administrator, School Administrator, Parent, Treehouse Learner
- Iteration 3 – Online learning and activity system which will include courses and games to help children learn Mandarin Chinese
- Iteration 4 – Online community to support parents of Mandarin immersion programs
- Iteration 5 – Find local parents to meet with and support each other in helping their children learn Mandarin
I am going to apply best practices and design patterns as part of the redesign and development. This will setup the foundation of web services to be used by both the web application and the mobile application. I will post my designs and development steps here. Please feel free to provide feedback in the comments section. I’m excited to get started!